Thursday 16 October 2008

Well, I Did Say It Last Month!

Well, the delay is not because I had a bad day, simply because I've been away without access to a computer!

Sunday gone's match was again on lake 2, unbeknown to me untill I saw there was nobody in the lake 1 car park when I got there! still, at least it wasn't raining this week. A larger than normal presence before the draw convinced me of one thing, I didn't want to draw a peg around the back of the island, as pegging would be a little tight (o.k, nowhere near as bad as alot of other commercials, but when you get used to having the room). Needless to say, I wasn't the happiest when I drew peg 57, dead smack in the middle around the back of the island, a peg that I've had a couple of times before. My preveous experiance of the peg was the same on both occasions, a good first hour, next to nothing in the middle and a decent last hour. However, the next peg (59, 58 isn't used in matches) has never been in when I've drawn it, but I had noticed, as have many others, that it doesn't fish when 59 is in as it seems to stop any fish coming around the island, so I wasn't filled with optimism.

I had one line at 14.5m to the island at about 11 o'clock, about 2ft short of the island in just under 3ft of water, after that I thought it was too shallow for the time of year at about 18in. The middle is a afir bit deeper here than where I was the previous week so I fished at 13m at 1 o'clock to where it had just sarted to shallow up from the deepest point. Here I had about 6ft, slightly more than I wanted but I didn't want to go too near the other line. Last rig was a margin line, this was awkard to find as it's very shallow in tight, on quite a steep slope but eventually I found an area a bit more managable in about 4ft of water. Line on all rigs was 0.16dia Garboline and size 16 hooks on all, while elastics were a Preston 15h for across and 14 latex for the other 2 lines. Bait was the usuall corn, pellet and hemp.

To cut a long and quite boring story short, apart from 1 foul hooker across in the first hour it was as dead as can be, apart from the odd tiny (half ounce!) roack on pellet, and one huge in comparision (2oz!) carp on corn. There just wearnt any carp there, no liners, nothing, and it was no better for the other 4 anglers I could see either, 2 of them having smallish carp (well, at around 2lb huge compared to the one I'd had) and the other 2 without. That was untill the last hour when 59 next door had a run of about 6 fish down the middle on cat meat for 13lb odd. I managed one bite down the track, with half an hour to go and managed to land a carp of about 6lb, hooked in the belly!

I have to say I expected a struggle, but knew I was in for it after the fishless first hour, I never even saw a carp cruise through my peg untill 2pm, something that is very unusuall! It wasn't all famine though, 70lb odd won the match, and the golden peg, from the open water, and there were a few other reasonable weights too. I'd like to say 'ahh well, there's always next week' but there isn't as I'm going to be away so unable to fish, doh! The clock's will have gone back then, a depressing thought, I hope the shorter matches and days bring a bit more action!

No comments: