Monday 2 February 2009

Peg 27 Revisited!


Well, as you can guess I sat on the same peg as last week, but managed to get the picture up this week! With the whinging and ranting of one person the day finished out to be a pleasure day so I had a practice session to try a few things out. I do think though that some people would be better off going to work if their Sunday revolves around money, at least that's guaranteed to get you paid!
I set up exactly as per last week, but all the pole rigs had a slightly longer line than usual after last week, but I did notice that the water was a touch clearer than last week. With anglers on the pegs either side of me (25 and 29, same as last week) I could treat the day like a match but could try out a few new things. Normally I don't feed at the start in winter on this lake but decided to from the off, just three maggots and half a dozen casters on the 17.5m line, and the same down the edge. It was definitely a bit earlier getting indications than the previous week, but nothing that was a proper bite, just liners, even an odd one on the deepest of the shallow rigs. My first fish came to the deepest of the shallow rigs at pretty much the same time as my first fish last week, and was practically the same size! However, after I didn't carry on catching, just getting very occasional slight liners for the next ten minute's. I figures that the slightly clearer water had made them a little cagey, something which I think was proved as on the hour the sun came on to the water and killed it stone dead!
The next two hours were totally without indication, and with the wind having an odd gust making presentation hard I kept having an odd chuck on the bomb and corn but with no joy. After about the third chuck on the bomb and corn with no joy I tried bread on a 12 inch hooklength. After ten minute's I was about to bring it in when I had my first liner so I left it for another five but with no joy. Next chuck I dunked the bread into my flavoured corn ( as I did a few weeks ago on Lake 2) and no sooner had I put the rod down than the tip started see-sawing! a 3lb common pretty soon found it's way into the net. Same thing tried next chuck and no after no more than two minute's another bite the same as the first and a 3lb ghostie finds it's way to the net. The next chuck dropped maybe two or three feet short of the clip, again on the dunked bread, and after a similar time to the last the it went again, this time the rod absolutely wrenching round! After a couple of minute's a much larger fish of near 7lb found it's way to the net. Another carp of around 6lb quickly followed doing exactly the same before the temperature took a real drop and things slowed up. I did manage another two fish on the lead before packing up at 3pm having had my five hours. With around 30lb I had more than anyone else on the lake and was quite pleased with the day, except for running out of coffee at not long past two (much easier to drink it when your on the lead!)
I did try the pole in the quieter last spell on the bomb but had no indications, not even on the deeper rig or shorter over where I had the bigger fish. I'm pretty sure the pole had spooked the fish, but whether it was that or the cold, or even the clearer water or perhaps even all three that had made them sit there I don't know, but again it's something I'll try and stick in the memory banks! Incidentally, apart from the one fish on the pole and caster all the fish came to flavoured baits, with only odd liners on un-flavoured. Make of that what you will! I'm a firm believer that on there day they will get you an extra fish or two, but are not the be all and end all of fishing and work as an extra tweak rather than a magic attractor. They won't make up for getting the basics wrong! Another interesting point was the bites, only one gave a typical carp wrap around, the bites were almost bream like with nudges and taps before steadily pulling and holding. I know Steve Ringer has written about this on bread (in last weeks Angling Times most recently) but in the two or so years I've been catching on it that was the first time I've had that, all the other times I've had proper yank arounds! It's something I'd like to have more time trying as I've a few things I'd like to play around with but I don't really get the chance to pleasure fish that much!
Next week is an open on lake two in preparation for the second round of the winter league and I have to say it's looking grim. A few people pleasure fished it last Wednesday and nobody had a carp, and with the weather forecast to stay cold it looks like things wont improve, and it wasn't that great the last match on there . Guess it will be a plip day or hope for a single carp!

1 comment:

Legionaire said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.