Sunday 10 May 2009

Will It Get Better?


After the last few results on the Old Lake I was hopeing for an improvement this week, and was quite optimistic when I drew peg 48. Despite it blanking last week it is one of my favourite pegs on the lake and was confident that I could nobble a few fish off of it, although it tends to be late starter unless you catch across.
The peg is on the end of the island and is shallow against it, perhaps 16in deep. The only downside is that I've never fished it when the pegs either side are in. Infact of the 18 pegs in I think there was only me that had pegs both sides. The first rig for across was a 4x8 Durafloat on .16 line strait thru to a 14 B611, lakky was black hydro. The rig I expected to see most action was the one for the deep water. The deepest part of the peg is only 4ft deep and I was confident the fish could be pushed down. Line was again .16 and hook again a 14 B611. Float was a .2gr diamond bodied handmade pattern which is very stable and lakky was a 14 latex. I put up rigs for either side in the margins but with pegs in both sides I wasn't sure if I'd catch there.
At the whislte I fed some pellet across and a pot of corn and hemp down the track. I elected not to feed the margins to start with, and would only try then later if I was struggling or a lot of peopel were catching in the edge.
To cut a long and very boring story short I never had a bite! Well, a proper bite. Fishing expander pellet I had the bait robbed within seconds by tiny roach. Odd carp drifted though but were most definatly not feeding. I wasn't the only person to suffer the same fate, and two people opposite only avoided the same by catching a carp from there only bite of the day in the last 5 minites! I really can't think of anything I done wrong, I really don't believe I had feeding fish infront of me. I had the same peg near enough a year to the day ago and won with 13 fish for 66lb. Despite not getting a bite I did give it right to the end but it wasn't to be! The lake as a whole fished hard, 29lb winning and 24lb being 2nd, both from what are normally unfancied pegs!
Time to sign off for now, thats enough of re-living a dull day!

No comments: