Monday 10 August 2009

Sunday 10th August


The first thing I noticed on arrival to the lake was that the water was higher than usual and a bit clearer than it was a fortnight ago. Walking round the lake quickly before the draw and it seemed that the fish had drifted back round into the 20's, as that's where there seemed to be more movement and colour in the water. Typically I didn't manage to draw there, with peg 14 coming out in my hand. It's actually a peg I've never fished before, although I've fished peg 13 loads of times before.




I have to admit the left margin looked good for a fish or two later. With plenty of water to my left in the corner and some overhanging bushes plus lillies it did look nice. With a nice 3ft of water on the edge of the bushes at 10m to my left, just behind the nearest lillies I was sure it would be a banker later in the match. Rig for here was on purple hydro and .18 line to a 16 fox series 2 hook with the float being a .2gr DC5. With that sorted I put a rig on and started to ship out to the island. As the 16m section went on I thought that someone had moved the island away while I wasn't looking as the pole had to go back on the roller so I could get out the 17.5m section from my rod bag! Eventually a .1gr DC6 float was set up to fish in just over 2ft of water, on .16 line with an 18 Fox series 2. Lakky was Preston 15h. Lastly a polyball rig was set up to fish shallow against the reeds for cruising fish.




At the whistle I fed the far swim with a pinch of 4mm pellets (I usually use 6mm in the summer but my experience of the pegs nearby, 11 and 13, led me to think small fish tend to be present on these pegs) While the margin got half a pot of meat, corn and hemp. Normally I'd give it a whole pot but with a lot of rain going in (again!) recently and with the water a bit clearer I decided to play it a bit safer.




After 10 minutes I had my first bite but missed it, and next drop on a pellet I had a small common of about a pound and a half. Odd bites continued in the next 20 minutes but I couldn't connect with them until I put an inch of line on the bottom. This led to a small tench of about 6oz and then another common of about 2lb. Any thoughts of having it sussed soon went as the swim seemed to slow up. The next hour passed with only an odd liner, yet the shallow rig was totally ignored. With nothing in the margin either, despite regular top ups, and toss-potted pellets across not attracting anything I decided to mix up some groundbait to try and bring some fish back in.




After two drops the groundbait had done it's job and another small carp came to the net, but only a baby of about 12oz, but this was followed with my best fish of the day as a mirror of about 2 1/2lb quickly came in. The swim started to slow as soon as it had started and all I had to show was in the next hour was a few missed bites and a lost foulhooker. A try in the margin gave odd silly indications on meat and when the float went properly a tiny perch came flying out of the water! Again nothing really came across, with very few indications as the swim seemed to have died a death.




With an hour to go, holding 17+m of pole across was starting to tell on the arms, with a week of having a cold not helping ( a cold, not swine flu as most would probably claim nowadays!) I decided to get the tip rod out. A quick re-jig to the set up to put a small 30gr Preston in-line method feeder on and I was ready to go. With the method mould mastered from last week I was away quickly with the tip going round as I tightened up! the last hour saw another 6 fish into the net. As per last week the baits needed changing to keep bites coming and I had two fish each on pellet and corn and two on an 8mm boilie, one of which was a lump nudging double figures! I have to admit I was kicking myself for not changing earlier, I was ready a good ten minutes before the start and nearly put it up then. I then sat and thought about it for a good hour before I did put it up.




I did lose a fish last drop. although strangely it felt foulhooked but I'll never know. I didn't get a chance for another as I hooked that one only 10 seconds or so before the all out! I knew the lake hadn't fished that well and when the scales got to me 28lb was top. I fancied being able to top that and I did, having 32lb 10oz. With nobody admitting to a lot apart from corner peg 33 claiming 6 good lumps I was hoping for a win but it wasn't to be. As he pulled out his net my prediction of 34lb was spot on as they went 34lb 5oz. Pipped from first spot by less than 2lb I really did kick myself for not putting the tip up earlier! Lesson learnt then, next time I think about changing something I must get up and do it!




The plus point again to the day was the method mould. I was very very sceptical about them until I tried one last week but I'm now sold on them! Using a Korum quick change bead for a newly baited hooklength when needed I can get the feeder back out in very near the same time as I used to be able with an elasticated feeder and swapping for a new one, but with the safeness of an in-line. I'd like to get some elasticated ones to try in the mould but my local shop doesn't stock them. Still, whatever your preference I'd recommend trying one!

No comments: