Monday 7 September 2009

Oh No, Not Again!


Well, I did predict last week that the match I missed on Bank Holiday Monday would be a good one, and it turned out to be! With that in mind I was disappointed to find that we were back on lake 1! With the margins being a loss I'd decided during the week to fish a cat meat line down the middle on that lake as well to try and nick an extra fish or two.
Going in to the draw bag I was disappointed to find peg 11 in my hand; not only is it the narrowest peg on the lake, not great when I'd decided to fish an extra line but also the peg had had a fallen branch removed form it that morning! Having had the boat in the peg that morning didn't fill me with joy as this peg had blanked last week!
After a good plumb round I was a bit more optimistic, I had a reasonable slope and it was only just over 12m to the island. The downside was a few trailing brambles or something hanging into the water meaning I had to be care full where I fished on the far bank. I couldn't really fish near the big tree stump as there was a lot of obstructions in the water. With that done I managed to find an area of the near bank to fish a margin while a cat meat rig was put up to fish down the middle. The depth here was the same from 4m up to about 10m so I just fished at a nice 6m dead in the middle. Regular readers will know the typical rigs by now, the only difference was that I'd decided to try a doubled 8 elastic on the cat meat rig rather than the solid latex I'd normally use on a deep rig.
On the whistle the far bank received a few pellet and a bit of groundbait while the area further along the bank I'd earmarked for later wasn't fed, opting to save that for later in the day. A pot of cat meat went down the track while the margin got half a pot of meat, hemp and corn. Baiting up with a 4mm expander and the float didn't even settle and a small common of about 12oz was soon in the net! I did think to myself that it could be a bad sign catching that early and so it proved! another small common found it's way to the net in the next hour before a twenty minute spell where two perch and two small skimmers came to pellet. The next few hours where a complete waste of time, I never had another bite until five minutes before the end when I had my only bite of the day on cat meat and had a common of about 5lb! No matter what I tried with the feeding or presentations I couldn't by a bite, my swim and others just seemed dead. Some people I could see hadn't caught a fish and I chucked back. The highlight of the day proved to be watching the Battle Of Britain fly over from nearby Duxford airfield!
Last week I said about fishing chopped worm and I should have taken my own advice, the match was won with 41lb of fish on, you guessed it, worm! 16lb of that weight was silvers so that was a busy day and what I perhaps should have done, although I doubt my peg was good for it. Still, next week is on the other lake, thank good!

No comments: