Monday 29 March 2010

Sunday 27th March (W/L Rd 5)



I was hoping for a change in draw bag fortune in the last winter league match on Lake Two, and while I didn't draw what had been the area's that had been 'hot' in the last few matches I was much happier with my draw. Peg 42 is a decent peg, perhaps not a flier but it's consistent and I did fancy that it would be good for a few fish. It's also the shortest walk on the lake!
After setting my box I sat for a minute to see what the wind was doing, it was quite gusty but by and large it was missing my peg. I had three rigs up for the pole. The first rig was for 13m out to the open water in about 5ft of water. This rig was a 4x14 chianti on .14 line to a 16 B611 and on a 12 latex, this would also double up as a throw-away line at 5m which I would just loose feed by hand. I also had a shallow rig up, set at half depth. Same hook and line as before but with a 4x10 PB2 float and grey hydro. Last rig up was for the margins, both left and right (I had an overhanging bush to my left and some rushes to my right). This rig was again on the same line and hook as before, using Preston 13h lakky. The float was a doctored Preston Somo (with a plastic tip) in about 3ft of water. Lastly, I also set up a bomb rod to start on beyond the pole line.
On the whistle I fed the 13m line with a pinch of hemp and three grains of corn, while the throw-away 5m line got half a dozen grains of corn by cup to kick it off. The left margin got a pinch of hemp and micro pellet plus three bits of corn while I elected to just flick bait by hand to the right margin. I baited the hair up with double corn and flicked the bomb about 16m out. It didn't take long for the two anglers to my right to catch on the tip (in the open water, but wider) I hadn't had a touch so ten minutes later I re-cast slightly to the left. The plan was to give it 20-25 minutes on the bomb and if I hadn't had a bite give it a chuck on the pellet cone to put some bait out. I had a slight flicker on the tip but nothing else so the next chuck went out with a single grain of corn and a pellet cone of 3mm Dynamite green pellets, using the smallest Guru cone. Just as I was considering bringing it in the tip dropped slack and then pulled round. It was obviously not a big fish but I was off the mark and a welcome 2lb common was soon in the net. I gave it two more drops on the cone and corn but nothing more followed.
I had my first drop in on the 13m line nearing the hour mark, and by this point the wind had started to pick up. After a few minutes fighting the wind the float dinked under and a crucian of about a pound and a quarter was quickly in the net. I decided to top the swim up with just two grains of corn after but no more bites followed, so I topped up the left margin with a pinch of bait (I was still flicking odd grains of corn to the 5m line, plus casters to the right margin) before going back on the bomb.
I had two fruitless casts on the bomb and had noticed odd fish cruising in the open water so, wind allowing, I started catapulting a few casters over the 13m line. I went back over the long line on the deck and after a few minutes I had a liner so I decided to try shallow, but the wind had changed now and was making good presentation awkward, even on the deck. I went back on the bomb while I set up heavier rigs for the pole, changing the shallow rig for a slightly heavier float with a longer line and the deck rig for a more stable pattern. With no joy on the tip I had a quick try in both the margins but had no joy from either. Going back out long gave no joy, either on the deck or up.
With two hours to go I decided to try the 5m line. I put a single grain of corn on, flicked two grains out and dropped the rig in. The float had been in no longer than thirty seconds when it buried, taking me totally by surprise and I missed it! I dropped the float back down the same hole and it hadn't been in too long before the float shot under again. I didn't miss this one and soon a small common of about 2lb was in the net. I tried the same again but it didn't work and no more bites followed so I went back over the long line. I had been on the line for perhaps twenty minutes when I had a bite on the deck and missed it. Nothing followed so I fed 2 grains of corn and a tiny pinch of hemp over the line. Not long after the float went again but as I was shipping in the very sluggish fish came off, and I have to admit I turned the air somewhat blue! I topped the line up again and a response was not long in coming and soon a mirror a touch bigger than the other two carp was in the net. I followed the same pattern and it didn't take long before another carp, perhaps nudging 3lb was in the net.
I have to admit I was harbouring thoughts of a good last hour and a quarter when, as soon as the fish arrived they were gone. The only difference I can think off was that the sun had come out, but even the cruising fish had gone. The last hour and a bit passed un-eventfully. I did up the feed in an attempt to bring the fish back but I never had any joy, the rest of the match passing without a bite. I could see the pegs that caught last week catching steadily though....
With my draw coming with scales duty people had to wait until I'd packed away! My fish went 12lb and an ounce, which at the end of the day was good enough for sixth. With the league leader winning the match with 35lb the title is already gone. The leagues second placed angler was third on the day (with 23lb, 33lb was second and 21lb 4th) but the other people above me were already out of the running so a quick look at the board means I may be up to joint third so after a bad start a respectable placing is still up for grabs in the last match in two weeks time.
With the bank holiday weekend coming up I'm not entirely sure when I'll be out over the weekend, although Friday looks to be a decent bet at the moment!

No comments: