Monday 26 April 2010

Deja Vu!

Apologies for the lack of of picture, I've just spent ages trying to work out why my phone won't find the memory card, but for some reason it won't work! Not that I really need it anyway, as just in case you didn't get it from the title, I went and put my hand in the bag and come out with the exact same peg as last week. I wasn't a happy bunny!

Having lost the frosts for two days I was hoping for some better sport, until that number 49 came out in my hand again! I have to admit I put my box down on the peg and sat for ten minutes and contemplated going to pleasure fish on lake 1 instead. I eventually decided to have a crack at it again, and then, just to make things worse, it started to tip it down!

I approached the peg much in the same way as last week- three rigs, one for the island, one for the near side of the ledge, and a margin rig. The only difference is that the margin and track rigs had smaller hooks than last week, while the margin rig was on .16 line, like the others. I was going to fish it much more negatively, trying to eek out a few fish!

The far bank got just a dozen pellets, while the track had half a dozen grains of corn and a small pinch of hemp. The margin got the same, plus a small amount of meat. I did manage about twenty minutes across on pellet (giving me some optimism of some carp being present) before the bait robbing micro roach moved in.

To cut a long and pretty boring story short, up until the last hour nobody near me had caught any fish other than odd tiny roach! The most interesting part of the day was that my partner for the pairs match next Monday (for the May bank holiday pairs match) were trying to work out who's going to draw, as he was next peg along! We both seem to have spent a lot of time lately in that cluster of pegs catching not a lot on lake 2!

In the end, just as I was toying with packing up early (the two pegs to my right had!) odd fish started to come along the edge. Just odd liners to start, then I had two late fish, one on corn and one on meat. Reasonable stamp fish, with the pair probably about 9-10lb between the two of them. I was a bit miffed that I didn't get a double figure ghostie- I watched it come along the edge feeding, it went head down right on my bait and the instant bite gave me a 5lb common! It must have robbed it out of the ghosties mouth!

The lake fished hard again, with 35lb winning, and two 20lb+ weights making the rest of the frame. A few people had two carp and didn't bother to weigh (only 4 from 21 did) so it wasn't at it's best it's fair to say!

As I said earlier, next week is the bank holiday pairs, with no match on the Sunday. I just hope I can draw better!

No comments: