Monday 3 January 2011

This Wont Take Long

After a couple of weeks away from the bank I was, as usual, itching to get out on the bank- ice or no ice!

Without wanting to spend too much time explaining the day I got a wet foot in the edge breaking ice (not even in my swim! why do people turn up at a frozen fishery expecting to fish without an ice breaker or being prepared to help? With 2 breakers and a boat and 12 turning up we cleared the number of swims and then drew) Fortunately I hadn't changed into my boots so I had dry footwear. I then had a chunk taken out of my thumb when clearing my own swim, as the butt of the cheap telescopic net pole I use for weed cutting and ice clearing slid down and chopped me. I spent the rest of the day with a fetching tissue and black electrical tape plaster on my thumb! Lastly, I blanked! I had some bites but missed them all. They were only on maggot on a 20 B611, and fishing smaller baits, down to slivers of maggot or pinkie or tiny pieces of punch on a 22 B511 didn't get a sniff. I wasn't the only one who had the same problem. There were large shoals of small bitterling in the edge and I'm sure they were responsible.

The match was won with 1 carp and a few small roach, with two small roach being second and nobody else caught. I've come to the conclusion that while there is still ice on venues now I'll not bother. The only saving grace to the day was winning a reel in a prize draw on Matchfishing-scene website- I'd been toying with a new reel for the bomb rod!

No comments: