Sunday 18 September 2011

Sunday 18th September

First off all I'll apologise for the lack of picture, I meant to take it after the match but totally forgot until after I'd loaded up the barrow and I wasn't taking it all off to get to my camera!

I was a bit bemused with my peg when number 9 came out, it's seldom used and in actual fact I had to rummage to find it as it was just a tiny gap in the bankside vegetation! It's not now, after I spent about twenty minutes of frantic chopping with secateurs!

It's one of the few pegs on the lake where you can't reach the island with the pole which meant a feeder chuck to the island (about 20m). The far bank vegetation was a bit fun until I got my eye in (think it was four months since the tip rod last came out!) I fished a small method on this line, and then set up two pole rigs - one for 11m to my left in the margin and a rig for fishing 2+2. I'm pretty sure you know what the rigs were by now!

I was a touch late starting after my little Sunday morning gardening session, and my first few chucks were a bit wayward! On the thirty minute mark I had my first bite, falling to an 8mm S-Pellet. Not a massive fish at about 3lb. Next cast I nearly had the rod pulled out of my hand, but the fish came off and I'm sure it was foul-hooked by the way it was kiting. Then the next drop I had a little bubba of a carp of about 1lb. I was just harbouring thoughts of putting a run together when the swim totally died.

It was a while before any more signs, and I found myself glad of my little £3 Asda radio so I could listen to the football! I'd had fruitless tries on both pole line and was back on the feeder when the rod did it's best to jump in the lake while I was celebrating Luka Modric's opener for Spurs against Liverpool! Another followed not long after but my thoughts of a run of fish ended when I lost a fish that pulled off right at the net.

After that flurry the swim was totally dead unless I tried worm up the side where I could catch perch, but I was enjoying the football and wished I was watching that instead as Spurs thumped Liverpool 4-0 (sorry Carl!)

With just twenty-five minutes to go I missed my first bite on the 2+2 line. I didn't give it long as I could see a carp feeding up against the far bank, but a few chucks on the method gave me only liners. I went back on the pole on the 2+2 line for the last ten minutes and wished I'd stayed on it after that first bite as I added a brace of 4lb'ers to the net in the last few minutes! You'd think I'd know better than to chase the fish after the last couple of matches...

I was on the scales and the second to weight in, so for a brief while I was winning the match with 20lb 4oz! Peg 14 put just over 39lb on the scales and the chatter suggested it would be close between them and peg 27 who was on the golden peg. When we got round to them they put 38lb 12oz on the scales to just miss out! I managed to hold on to 3rd place until the very last person to weigh in put 21lb 6oz on the scales. I was kicking myself a bit, not just from those lost fish but also for coming off the pole for that spell near the end. Perhaps I should have caught a few more perch on worm in the edge......

No comments: