Monday 1 October 2012

Sunday September 30th


Well, after last weeks soaking I was pleased that the weather forecast didn't predict any rain until long after we'd have left the bankside, which was nice because trying to find the space to get everything dry when it's still wet outside makes the nightmare process of getting everything dry even worse.

Being back on the old lake, I really fancied a draw in the open water but it wasn't to be as I found myself on peg 64. The pegs in the open water were relatively wind free, but those of us in the arms of the island found the wind hitting the island and then funnelling through. Last week the rain, this week a wind tunnel! Peg 64 has something of a poor reputation but I've always done okay of it. The downside is it's a late go'er so it's a case of hoping the fish show up early enough!

I had three areas to target in the swim; tight across at 13.5m, 5m and the right hand margin at 4m. At times the wind wasn't too bad, so I risked going on the lighter side with the rigs. The far bank had a .1gr NG XTM, in 14in of water this had 2ft of line above the float to allow for the wind. This was on .17 line to a .15 hook-link and an 18 hook. Lakky was Preston 13h. For the 5m line I had a .3gr NG Decker, set with the same terminal gear as the far bank rig. With minutes to go before the all-in, I also put up a heavier .4gr of the same. Lastly was a .2gr NG XTM for the margins. Hooks and line were stepped up here, and the lakky was Preston 15h.

The start of the match led to the 5m line getting about a third of a pot of hemp and corn before going across with a tiny pot on the pole to feed just 4-6 pellets each time. The close proximity of the margin meant I'd feed it by hand. The wind meant that the pot didn't stay on long! It was also very frustrating as I could see signs of fish across, but it was impossible to present the rig to them! the lighter float came off to be replaced with a .2gr version, but still the gusty wind ruined the presentation. Putting a string of backshot along the line helped when the wind wasn't so bad, but the skim was a nightmare as the wind rushed along the island.

After forty minutes or so frustration got the better of me - I'd missed one bite across but the wind was less gusty and more consistent blowing now. In the odd lull I could see fish over the bait (when the wind let me feed with the catty), but trying to fish it was only going to lead to a bad back and/or a broken pole. I didn't fancy either and left it alone!

Going on to the 5m line I didn't expect too much so early. An odd liner gave me a little heart, but I could see most of the pegs in the open water catching steadily. I started flicking bait in to the margin to try and get that going too.

It was on about the ninety minute mark when I had my first carp. A brief lull in the wind led me to drop in across. I tried a cube of as a change bait and the float was away instantly. Not a big fish - a common of about 2lb but I was off the mark. Unfortunately the wind picked up again and put the mockers on it!

Dropping back to the 5m and either the rest or the quarter pot top-up had worked as I missed a bite lowering the rig in right over the feed (surprising given the wind). Lowering the rig back in didn't work, so I re-filled the small pot and lowering the hook bait in through the loose feed. As soon as the corn hit hit the bottom the float was away! A decent common of around 4lb was culprit, and a few minutes later he was joined by his little brother. Again, this one was taken lowering in through the feed and the bite came within seconds. With the fish taking like that I wished I could have fished the light rig, but I could only get any presentation fishing with the heavier one! Another 3lb'er fell after a short while but the swim seemed to be fading. I could get signs of fish, but no bites.

With the half way point of the match arriving I topped up the 5m line with the same amount as I'd started it with. A positive move but I was a long way behind the open water pegs! A drop in the margins got me a bite on double corn but I missed it and no more came, so I gambled on upping the regularity of my feeding here so I was flicking bait in to it every five minutes or so.

By now the wind had got even worse, so I put two more no8 Stotz on the line as backshot halfway between the float and pole tip. They'd have sank the float normally but by holding them just in the water they absorbed most of the wind buffeting. It was perhaps a combination of the better presentation and the re-feed and rest but I started to nick an odd fish off the 5m line. I was by no means motoring, but the fish were a decent average stamp with each one being around 4lb. Again, every fish fell quickly after lowering in the rig. By dropping it in but holding the float clear of the water I let the rig straiten. Once it had dropped strait I lowered the float in, holding tight to the back shot. If I got a bite it was within seconds and I didn't miss one.

With an hour to go I had eight carp, and decided that I could risk a quick drop in the edge to see if there was anything there. I had a bite on double corn no sooner had it hit the bottom, but it was only a bubba of about 2lb. No more signs followed in the coming minutes so I gave it a whole handful of both corn and hemp, making plenty of noise. I picked the heavier rig up for the 5m line, lowered it in and then noticed swirls coming from the edge!

I gave it about thirty seconds at 5m (enough time to get a bite if it was going to, given how it had been), before bringing it in and picking up the margin rig. Double corn was lowered in, and holding the rig tight to the back shot as the float settled (as I had been at 5m) got me a bite instantly! As I played the fish I flicked a few grains of corn in to keep them happy, before netting a fish that was nearer 5lb than 4lb. That worked another two times with similar stamp fish, before they were gone as quick as they turned up. I gambled by giving it just one handful of bait before going back to the 5m line with just over twenty minutes left.

The wind had eased a lot now, and while I could get odd indications no bites came. I decided I could get away with the lighter rig now, so tried that but using a cube of meat as a change bait. It worked, but strangely now I had to leave the bait static! I had two fish on this, albeit they were both smaller at 2.5/3lb, before gambling the last few minutes in the edge, but that didn't get me one last lump that I was hoping for, and I finished on thirteen carp.

I was packed away in time to follow the scales round, and 59lb and 46lb were the top weights from the open water. Peg 62 to my left in the corner also had a slightly bigger 46lb weight caught late on from their long margin before I topped them with my fish going 47lb 13oz. There was another low 40lb weight from the open water pegs on my bank, before I was pushed down in to third by a 53lb wieght.

I was happy enough with that given the conditions - the first spell of the match was a nightmare with the wind, and perhaps I should have tried the bomb over. Other than that I don't think there was much else I could have done - I never lost a fish and only missed two bites. I think it's fair to say the summer bagging has finished now, as that was the second weekend in a row I've sat with my jacket on. I'm taking my fleece next week!

No comments: