Monday 19 November 2012

Sunday November 18th


After a few weeks on the old lake I was looking forward to going back on to the new lake. The only downside looked to be be the weather again, as per last week the relatively mild weather during the week lead to clear sky's Saturday night and quite a sharp frost on Sunday morning.

I fancied a higher number draw, so when number 2 came out in my hand I feared the worse! Basically, my peg for the day was a twenty meter square right off the main lake by the car park (the tip of the bay is visible in the pic), although I did have an island chuck with the bomb (only as peg 3 wasn't in - it would be a a bit close otherwise). There's always fish in that area of the lake in the evenings as they often get fed there after matches and during the week, but with it being the first match in a month on the lake, with the cold and everyone having to walk past my peg optimism was low!

I set up a rig for the margin to my right in case any fish came back in to the bay, one for 13m towards the open water plus my bomb rod with a variety of hook-links to try different baits.

To cut a long and very boring story short, I had one carp about 4lb and five little perch. The carp came to the bomb and bread, dropped fairly short of the island about two hours in to the match. I didn't actually see the tip go round either, as somebody walked up the bank behind me, and when they asked how I'd got on I replied looking round to them (something along the lines of a four lettered word, followed by sayin I was bite-less) and when I looked back the tip was round a foot! I never had another liner or twitch on the tip, and the perch fell to maggot fished in the edge.

Peg 5 won with 48lb of carp on punch, so the fish that normally inhabit my little bay looked to have headed that way! Just 12lb was second from peg 7, and peg 11 was third with 11lb. A few other people had just the one carp like me, and some had none. It's fair to say it wasn't the day I was looking forward too as the winter "aqua bingo" begins!

No comments: