Monday 11 March 2013

Winter League Rd 3 (10/3/13)

Well, I had to open my mouth last week and say about the weather improving, didn't I? I should have known that was only during the week! After a glimpse of spring I woke up Sunday morning to find (as much of the country probably did) a dusting of snow. Deep joy.

Still, the winter league continued, as did my bad run in the draw-bag! I was not best pleased to find peg 53 in my hand again. There was no need to take a picture of the peg as it's the same one as last week.

I had a secret weapon this week after only being able to catch roach last week - after seeing the rapid temperature change I had a clutch of my leftover squatt rigs from the Div 2 national in the summer, plus a top-kit that still has a no3 lakky in it. It's just as well I did, else I fear it would have been a DNW next to my name.

Unlike last week when it was quite pleasant after a cold start, this week it was just cold! I had the wind pushing occasionally in at me (when we had it) and with it wet snow blowing in at me for much of the day. I struggled to eek out five tiny fish on small bits of punch for a massive 1oz! (two tiny roach and three even smaller bitterling). The only place I had a bite was long down my right margin where there were a few roots and sticks in the edge.

The day was finished up nicely when the next peg started packing up noisily with ten minutes to go. They chucked their made up bomb round down the middle while they stood up packing their pole away and had a last-gasp carp on it. The highlight of my day was finding I hadn't drank all of my flask so I could have a coffee while I was packing up..

I actually fared slightly better than the last round of the winter league beating two anglers who never had a bite all day, and tying with the peg to my right who also eeked out a few tiny fish to stave off the dreaded DNW.

In terms of winning the winter league my chances are all but over now (unless others start drawing as bad as me in the last two rounds!), as even with a change in fortune I've still a bad result to carry.

There's no blog next week, looking at the weather for the week I've decided on an early birthday / St Patricks day celebration next Sunday instead (my wife is Northern Irish, so it's a legitimate excuse for me!), and it seems a better prospect than sitting in the cold catching nothing. Hopefully given that it'll be near April the weather will be at least a little more favourable next time!

No comments: