Sunday 10 October 2010

Sunday October 10th

With the weather being pretty decent all week I was hopeful of a decent days fishing, although walking round the lake before the match it was noticeable that the colour had dropped out of the water in certain areas. I was happy with the draw when number 14 was in my hand, with a nice long margin and the water still holding a reasonable tinge of colour compared to the later numbered pegs.


Plan of attack was the usual areas- a rig for across at 16m (a 4x10 Preston Chianti with a plastic tip in 3ft of water), a 5m line (using a .3gr NG Floats Decker in 5ft of water) and a margin rig for 13m to my left towards a corner ( a 4x12 Preston Somo, again in about 3ft of water) The margin and far bank rigs had floats with finer tips than those I've used of late with the water cooling down. The rigs were all on .15 (hook-link in the case of the deep rig) with 18 Fox Series 2's on them. Elastic was Preston 15h on the two shallower rigs and black Hydro on the deeper. With a few minutes to go I also decided to put up a shallow rig for using against the island, a ploy that works well for me when it's a bit cooler. A 4x10 PB2 float on .13 line direct to a 20 Fox Series 2 and Preston 13h was the lighter set up for this. Putting this rig up meant I wasn't ready at the start, hence why the pic is after the match!


I fed the margins with a pinch of hemp, corn and meat, while the 5m line had about a dozen grains of corn. First drop across was when any bait went in, with three grains of corn and half a dozen 4mm pellets topped off with a little groundbait. I started to get odd signs after a minute or so and after five minutes by first bite produced a skimmer of about 2oz. The next drop resulted in the pellet being shredded by small fish. A switch to a grain of corn produced a missed bite before giving me a small common of about a pound and a half. Floating leaves started to be a problem then and I had to re-plumb a little further along to get past where they were gathering!


I missed two or three bites on corn in the new area before I connected with one, and after a very lively fight a common of about 4lb was in the net- hooked neatly in the tail root! Bites faded after so I took the opportunity to top up the margin line before trying the shallow rig as odd carp were browsing among the drifting leaves but it bought no joy, and the same happened with a five minute try on the 5m line. Back across and a quick bite on corn on the deck produced a common of about 3lb before bites totally faded.


I plugged away across until the two hour mark when I had a try on the two closer lines. The 5m line produced nothing while a liner on the margin line led to to give it longer than I was going to for no reward! A spate of knocks that never developed on the deck across led to try the shallow rig again, shallowing it up to a foot deep before slipping double caster on the hook. I missed a sharp dig first drop, but a few minutes later another bite led to a ghostie of about 3lb. The next drop produced an almost instant bite and a better fish was the result with a chunky 5lb'er making it's way to the net. The next drop didn't go to plan though and a missed bite saw me attached to a snag in the water. As I shipped back to try and free the rig I heard a muffled "pupf" as I reached the no5 section and looked up to see the no2 section of the top-kit broke! The first time I'd used that top on the pole too, and while I'm aware the match-lite kits are only rated to a 12 I don't think a 13 hollow elastic was overdoing it!


I couldn't get a bite across after this so I decided on a drop in the margins. I missed a bite before the next one resulted in a crazy fight from very old looking torpedo shaped 3lb'er. I missed two or three more bites after before a switch to a small cube of meat had an instant result and produced a carp of about 5lb. I did have a few liners after so I topped up with a pinch of bait and went back across. Two carp in two chucks on the shallow rig (now with heavier 15h elastic after the miss-hap!) was the result, both shallow on caster and both around the 4lb mark. Bites faded on this after, and with the sun off the water now due to the tall tree's behind I decided to try the on the deck. With no joy on this I had a drop on the 5m line, but this was strangely quiet so it was back in the edge with an hour and a half to go.


I had a frustrating spell of missed bites here, both on corn and meat, which led to much rig tinkering. In the end I took a shot off the rig and waited a bit longer! This produced two good fish in a short while, the biggest perhaps nudging 7lb before I started to miss bites again! Eventually, with an hour to go carp number twelve fell, although smaller than the last two at not much more than 2lb. I then had to sit the last hour out as I couldn't get a bite off any line on any bait, and I have to admit I got quite worried as the peg to my right had six carp in as many drops from their margin swim before that died too with twenty minutes left.


On waiting for the scales I knew peg five had a few, and the main danger apart from that was peg twelve who'd had that late spell of what looked to me good fish. When the scales got to me those two had weighed in 34lb and 30lb, and my dozen fish went just over a pound more than my guess of 47lb, nudging the scales to 48lb 4oz. With nobody else having much more than 20lb it was enough for the win, but despite that I have to say I was still a little frustrated over the amount of missed bites! I wont fret too much over the busted top-kit, hopefully my tackle dealer and Garbolino will deal with that nicely for me!

No comments: