Monday 18 October 2010

When Jack Frost Comes Knocking!


With the first frost forecast I wasn't really sure what to expect on Sunday, but I did know that from walking around the lake I fancied a draw from 62 to anywhere in the 70's, with the sun facing them from early, and the fact that they would be in the sun all day I reckoned on those being the pegs to draw. The other side of the lake was distinctly cooler, with a touch of frost present on the ground between pegs 48 and 51.

For some reason I found myself in the draw queue about half-way down, earlier than I like to be, and when my hand came out of the bag I was somewhat disappointed to find peg 48 in my hand! In to the fridge it was then! Peg 48 has been somewhat a strange peg for me in the past, but generally it does one of two things; fishes well, or fishes hard!

With plenty of time to set up I decided on four rigs. I had two for the island, the first a 4x10 Preston Chianti on .15 line direct to a size 20 Fox Series 2 hook. The second had the same float and hook but on lighter .13 line. The stronger rig was matched to Preston 15h lakky, while the lighter was on a 13h. Depth here was not quite 2ft tight at 13m. The third rig was for 5m. Depth here was about 4ft and in the flat calm conditions a .2gr NG Floats Decker was plenty. Terminal gear was the usual .17 line to a .15 hook-link and an 18 Fox Series 2 hook, fished on black Hydro. I was reluctant to scale down on this line as when it goes on this peg they tend to be big fish. Last up was a margin line for 6m along the bank to my left. In not quite 3ft of water a 4x12 Preston Somo (I've changed the bristle to a plastic one) was used on .15 line direct to an 18 Fox Series 2 hook. Preston 15h finished this rig.

Just before the whistle I had the sun on my peg (not the water though!) to make a nice picture, but by the time I started I was most definitely in the shade again. The far line got just a pinch of 4mm pellets, while the 5m line had the same but with a few grains of corn. The margins had a pinch of hemp, a few grains of corn and just six small cubes of meat. I was reluctant to feed more at the start with the cold, after all, I could always step it up if I needed.

It took about five minutes for me to get the first indication on a 4mm expander, but I missed it. Strait back in and my suspicions were confirmed as a roach of about an ounce nabbed the pellet. I slipped on a grain of corn and started to drip a few pellets in to try and make a response. By this time everyone I could see opposite had a fish (carp) and some were even in t-shirts! With no sun on me I had my fleece zipped right up! After forty minutes or so a liner led to a bite on corn, and after a short but spirited fight a small mirror was in the net. Size-wise, I debated on which net to put it in (carp under a pound and silvers in one net) before decided it was just over a pound and put it in the big net. At least then both nets had fish in them! I tried dropping in without feeding next chuck, but after five minutes without sign I went back to dripping pellets in, but with no joy unless I went back to a small expander which produced an odd 1oz roach.

On the hour and a half mark I decided to come away from the island and drop in on the 5m line which I had been flicking odd grains of corn on to. I had a liner here which led to me staying on it a bit longer, but with nothing else after another ten minutes I abandoned it for the far line, after topping up the margins again. Practically on the two hour mark on the dot, the sun reached the island where I was fishing and the result was near instantaneous! Shame I missed it! Next drop and this resulted in another pasty mirror, a touch bigger than the first. I was starting to think about putting a few fish together but but that was the end of that with the next hour bite-less, and the sun once again left the island.
I felt upon leaving the island that I had nothing to lose in upping the feed, so I cupped in a quarter of a pot of pellets before dropping in on the margins. This was fruitless too so I decided that with an hour and forty or so to go to give that a decent pot of bait, giving it half a pot of casters and some come (something different) before dropping in on the 5m line. I had a bite instantly here and a common of about 2lb was the result, but no more followed. Going as I had with the other lines, with nothing to lose that too got a bigger amount of bait.
I decided to go down the edge on corn, and this produced knocks so I decided to switch to caster. Two small roach in as many drops were followed by and identical bite next chuck which saw considerably more elastic come out. A lively fight saw a ghostie of about 6lb in the net and the end of the bites here. Thinking that as caster had given the best fish smaller biats may be the way I put a quarter of a pot of choppy and caster in, but the only sign I had until the end here was a tail waving at me ten minutes before the end, which promptly disappeared when I lowered half a worm in front of it. The only other action of note was a flurry of missed bites on the 5m line. This led to me both deepening up and shortening the line above the float and when I did then hit one, it was a fully scaled mirror that weighed all of about 2oz! After this the tail waved at me and when that done it's disappearing act I did something I seldom do- packed up early!
As it happened in the end, for those that sat in the sun it fished quite well, with corner peg 62 winning with 60lb odd, with some near 40lb weights behind and quite a few 30's. I wasn't the only one who struggled and the others in the shade to my right mustered (I think) seven carp between three of them. Still, there's always next week!

No comments: