Sunday 20 February 2011

Sunday 20th February

After the disappointment of last weeks winter league I was eager to catch a few fish and get back on track, nothing worse than not catching when others did! I didn't walk round the lake before the match but I saw a fish top in the open water, while those that looked said there was little movement in the favoured reed pegs, but some fish showing around the back of the island (peg 59)


I was one of the last to draw and hadn't taken any notice of who'd drawn where, but I wasn't best pleased when peg 48 came out in my hand! Regular readers may notice that it's a peg I've drawn twice in recent times and haven't had a bite off it in ten hours fishing. I wasn't best pleased it has to be said, and did let some people know!


Putting my box down on the peg I was weighing up my options and decided on just two lines, one for near the island and one somewhere else! In what is a shallow peg I decided to plumb long and round to the left and try and find somewhere with a better depth than the 4ft in front. After a long while plumbing I found the bottom of the island slope at 13.5m to my left, fishing in the reflection of the biggest tree reflection on the left of the picture. I had about five and a half feet of water here. This rig was a 4x14 Preston Chianti, while my island rig in about 3ft of water was a 4x10 Chianti. Both were on .14 line to a .125 hook length to an 18 hook and on Preston 11h elastic. Lastly I had a rig to try punch shallow over the island line. Set initially about two and a half foot, the float was a 4x10 PB2 on the same line as the others but with a 16 hook and on grey hydro.


Just after the whistle (I spent that long plumbing up I wasn't ready!) I fed the left hand swim with two grains of corn and four casters, then I baited up with a large piece of punch and tried the island line. After establishing that nothing was hiding along the island I fed it with a tiny pinch of crumb and four pinkies before trying a grain of corn in the deep swim. Five minutes here and no signs so it was on to maggot, a single red on the hook and just three maggots into a small cad-pot. I'd been in the swim no more than to or three minutes when the tiny speck of float blinked under! After a surprisingly lively fight a common of about 2.5lb was in the net. Repeating the process I gave it ten minutes without a bite before I decided to swap lines, not wanting to push it.


Shipping out to the island I was optimistic of a bite as odd fish were now starting to cruise round the island. The only response I had after tipping out the tiny pinch of crumb and pinkies was a liner approaching the hour mark, while the nearly everyone I could see had a carp now, while the peg opposite had three! Back on the deeper line and the three maggots were tipped on the float. Only a matter of minutes later and the single red maggot done the job again, a small common the twin of the first was in the net. Ten minutes later and again the tiny speck of float dipped under again and a bigger common of about 4lb made an appearance. The next bite barely took a minute and a small ghostie of about 2lb joined the others in the net.


Predictably the flurry of activity slowed so I left the swim alone and went back to the island. The next hour was slow and the only sign of life was a liner closer to the island despite rotating the swims. I did keep seeing good sized mirror cruise along the margin to my left. It would reach my nets and then cruise off. I decided to have a try in the edge, and a quick plumb up revealed that under the end of one piece of overhanging vegetation the depth was identical to the far bank area I'd plumbed up. I fed a pinch of casters and three grains of corn and left it alone while I had fruitless tries on the other two lines.


After leaving the two long lines I topped up each one, a tiny pinch of crumb and pinkies to the island and just three maggots on the deep line. I slipped a grain of corn on the rig and dragged it up the marginal slope. I have to admit despite seeing fish down the edge I was surprised when the float went after about thirty seconds! The amount of lakky showed it was a much bigger fish than the others I'd had and after a few minutes the same pale (well, I'm certain it was!) mirror that I'd seen cruising up the edge was in my net. A useful lump of about 8lb! By now I was getting a fair amount of stick, generally along the lines of "not bad for a (insert your own choice of four letter word!) swim!" I didn't expect to get another bite down the edge so I fed the same small pinch of casters and corn down the edge and left it.


It was a slow response now, with the island line giving no bites. With just under an hour and a half left I had another bite off the deep line, again to single red maggot. This was a decent fish too, a common of about 6lb which required the use of the pull-bung! Bites weren't coming fast and the next forty minutes gave me just two more bites. Feeding just three maggots every few minutes red maggot again done the damage and a common of about 6lb and a mirror of about 5lb gave me eight carp with about thirty minutes to go.


Sadly for me the last spell of the match didn't produce and I had to watch others catching odd fish. I missed two bites on maggot which led me to try past my swim, which very unsurprisingly didn't work. Back over the bait gave me a small roach so a switch to corn was tried. I missed a bite on this too before the match finished. I guessed my weight to be in the low to mid thirty's, but with someone else having eight fish and another having six including a double it looked like being close.


Being the third to weigh in 14lb was top when the scales reached me. I comfortably topped that, with my fish going 38lb 1oz. After finishing packing away just over 30lb was the next best weight, with a twenty and some high teen weights also going on the scales. In the end the lake fished quite well in the cold and the fish were spread out with everyone catching carp apart from the one angler who went home halfway through the match as they were getting beat both sides! With the weather looking to warm up in the week it's looking good for the winter league next week. Here's hoping for a repeat of the result!

2 comments:

andykel said...

Nice one Gavin! I've forgotten what 30lb in a net looks like!!!!

Gavin Goldthorp said...

It is nice to be catching! I can't wait for this winter to be over in all honesty. Never had a winter where I had two months without a fish before!