Sunday 27 February 2011

Sunday 27th February (W/L Rd 3)

After last weeks match I was looking forward to this round of the winter league as the fish seemed to be spreading out at last. I did walk around the lake before the draw and it was noticeable that the water was starting to colour up, hopefully from fish moving around! Peering into the reeds on peg 72 they were solid with carp and it looked like it would be the peg to draw. Other than that the only thing I noted was that I didn't want to draw peg 53 in the corner as the cold north-easterly wind was blowing strait into it. I also have a love / hate relationship with that peg, largely hate!


I drew in my customary late position and thankfully 53 was gone (normally saying I don't want a peg guides it into my hand in the bag), although 72 was also gone. When peg 70 came out in my hand and I was pretty happy with that as it gives you the option of shallow water in the edge under a small tree, deeper water in the open plus the small island to fish to, although the bottom is very up and down near it and not the best for fishing.


Putting my box down on the peg it was noticeable that there were a lot of small roach topping and I figured that may mean that the maggot approach that's worked well lately may be a no-goer. I didn't plumb up too close to the small island, experience told me it's about four and a half foot deep in front of it, and that also there is a root or similar snag halfway along it! I set up a rig to try shallow against it early at 14.5m, hoping to snare a fish on punch early. This was a 4x10 Preston PB2 set at about two and a half feet deep. Line was .14 to .125 to a 16 B611 and 11h lakky. The rig I thought would be the main line of attack was at about 12.5m were the bottom was shallowing up. The rig here had the same hook and lines as the shallow rig but the float was a 4x14 Preston Chianti in about five foot of water. Lakky here was also 11h. My margin rig was at 6m to my right just under the edge of the tree, in not quite 3ft of water. This rig was on .14 direct to a 16 B611 and on 13h elastic. Float was a 4x12 Chianti. I'd like to have used a lighter float but fishing that way was facing into the wind and the heavier float held the rig better in the skim. Lastly, with the colour back in the water I figured it was worth a gamble having a 2+2 line again, hoping it could be worth a bonus fish in the last half an hour or so. This was just my side of the deepest water in near 6ft of depth. Float was a .3gr NG Floats decker, but with the same line, hook and lakky as the margin rig. Bait-wise on my tray I had corn, caster, maggot and some softened micro pellet, with some 4mm expanders for the hook.


On the whistle I fed the 12.5m line with a tiny ball of micro's and four maggots, while the margin line had a small pinch of caster and micro's. Baiting up with a large piece of punch I shipped out to the small island. It didn't take long for the float to bury but I missed it! I suspected small roach as they were topping out there. Dropping the rig back out and the same happened, while the two anglers opposite had both had small roach on maggots. I baited up with a tougher (and bigger) double punch and the roach seemed to leave this alone. After ten minutes without a sign here, trying it along the island I came in and swapped for the main rig. With double maggot on the rig it went strait away and a roach of about 1oz went in the net. I was already a long way behind peg 72 mind, as they had three carp already! In fact at this time I'd seen six carp caught, all to my right off the increasingly stiff and cold breeze.


I plugged away catching small odd small roach on maggot, introducing tiny balls of micro's with odd maggots when after 45 minutes I decided to slip on a pellet. A longer wait for a bite gave me hope the roach would leave it alone but when it did go it was an even smaller roach! At this point I decided to introduce odd grains of corn so something that the micro roach wouldn't eat was left in the swim. I also topped the margin line as in all probability the (now annoying, where were they when we had the ice!) roach had eaten all the bait there. I had another try on the long punch rig, and on corn on the main line but with no joy. With peg 72 running away with it easily now on the hour and a quarter mark I dropped in under the tree to my right on double maggot, hoping that their catching had pushed odd fish out of the back of the reeds towards my margin line - no such luck! I had ten bite less minutes here before going back to the 12.5m line.


The wind had got quite bad and swirly now and corn or small balls of micro's were all I dared feed with the tow picking up. I'd moved all the shot down to keep the rig stable now and was having to plug away on either corn or pellet as maggot wouldn't touch the bottom for the tiny roach, although the odd one still managed to hang it's self on a pellet! With near half the match gone I decided on a double change, reaching into my bag I got some hemp out and decided I'd feed just that and odd grains of corn long to discourage the micro roach. In the margin I put another section on and plumbed down to the limit of my peg in the hope that 72 had pushed odd fish down (they had about a dozen by this point) I was never going to catch up with them, but no-one else I could see had more than three carp. I didn't feed the extreme margin of the peg, just put a large grain of corn on which would sink the float and dragged it up the slope. The float had been there less than ten seconds when I found myself attached to a carp of about 3lb. The next two drops were the same, waiting less than a minute for a bite! With three carp in the net it didn't do it a fourth time but I'd dragged myself up into the running. I risked a tiny sprinkling of hemp in the swim and left it alone. Up until that point 72 had slowed up, so they must have pushed the fish out of the reeds and behind them. I must have pushed them back ( I know, generous of me!) as they started catching quickly again after!


With just two hours left I decided on a drop on the 2+2 line where I'd been regularly dripping single grains of corn. I wasn't overly surprised when I didn't have a sign on it so I fed a small punch of hemp with the cup on it and carried on feeding it as I had, keeping it in mind for a late fish. Going back on the longer deep swim I had my first sign of a carp there when I had a definite liner. It had started to warm up just a touch now and the wind had eased slightly and was no longer a problem to my presentation, allowing me to spread the shot again. I was hoping that a combination of that and the regular drip feeding would bring a late burst out of the swim, and not long after the liner I had a proper indication on corn. I have to say that for all the world it looked like a proper bite, but the fish that I lost after a minute felt suspiciously foul hooked! Back out and a few minutes later I had another bite on corn and this one wasn't foul hooked, a ghostie of about 3lb joining the others in the net. I topped up with just four grains of hemp and one of corn and five minutes later found myself attached to another carp which felt bigger than the others, and a few minutes later a mirror of about 6lb was in the net. I repeated the trick and perhaps ten minutes later another bite saw a common of about 4lb in the net.


The indications faded after, so with forty minutes left I rested the swim hoping for one last flurry off it. I was almost certainly ahead of everyone I could see now, with the exception of peg 72 who had about twenty carp by this point! No indications came off the 2+2 line, and I had one bite in the margin which I lost and I suspect was foul hooked. The sun peeped through as I shipped back out to the long deep line, and I didn't wait long for a bite with carp number seven joining the others in the net, again it was a common of about 3lb. Next drop and again I had to hardly wait as another pea-in-a-pod common was in the net. The last twenty minutes didn't produce a proper bite, but it did produce a few liners as the warm sun bought the fish up. In hindsight I should have tried the shallow rig over the line, but never mind!


I didn't walk round at the weigh in, and had gathered a small crowd behind of people listening to the Carling Cup final on my radio! Surprisingly the island pegs hadn't fished, even the ones out of the wind and it had been much patchier than the week before with some people not having carp. Just 15lb was top weight when the scales got to me, with my fish going a few pound more than I thought, totalling 28lb 1oz. Weighing in peg 72 was a formality really as they were run away winners with 73lb, but nobody else managed double figures after them.


In terms of the league I was surprised to see that even after my round two disaster I was in fifth (not counting this result), but I finished ahead of everyone above me and closed the gap up, and with three rounds left and the worst result to drop it's still all to fish for. Hopefully now as we just nudge into March and hopefully spring we should see an end to barren pegs and hopeless draws!

No comments: