Sunday 27 January 2013

Sunday Jan 27th

This will be just a quick update again, mostly because there isn't a lot to report! The winter league has been postponed for a fortnight due to the weather (a decision I support!) so this week was just business as usual.

Both lakes still held ice - less so on the old lake which was around half clear. With all the ice melting the last thing I wanted was a deep peg (cold water being densest,and melting ice makes for the coldest water can be) - somewhere nice and shallow in the sun would be nice, but I only got one half of my wish! Peg 68, in the open water and the deepest part of the lake. Doh! At least I didn't have to break any ice though!

With the wind the long pole was out, so it was pretty simple - a bomb rod, and a short pole rig for roach at 6m.

To save boring anyone, I had a liner first cast on the bomb, a 3lb common on my second chuck, then liners in the two casts after. That took me up to the first hour and the point at which all the ice melted. After that, I never had a sign of a fish - I couldn't even get a bite from a roach! I wasn't the only one who struggled either, but I didn't blank at least!

A sheltered peg round the back of the island (59) won with seven carp for 29lb, 14lb was second and 9lb was third.

My next blog won't be for another fortnight now, until (weather permitting) the winter league does actually start. To be honest, after the struggle of the last couple of months I can't wait to see the back of winter!

No comments: